Monday, July 07, 2008

Metropolis - Missing Scenes Rediscovered

A regular poster on my Message Board mentions in this thread that an original full length copy of the famous 1927 Fritz Lang film Metropolis has been discovered in Argentina. While the film is today considered a classic, it was not successful with German audiences. When it was shown in the United States, its distributor Paramount Pictures edited out about 25 percent of the film on grounds that it was too lengthy and difficult for the American public. As a result, the plot was oversimplified and key scenes were eliminated. Until now, the cut scenes had been presumed lost.

I have heard a lot about Metropolis but have yet to get around to watching it. It is one of many films on my rather lengthy "to watch someday" list. I have seen Lang's Siegfried which I do recommend.

You can read the story about how the rediscovered original copy of Metropolis managed to survive here. You can also see images from the rediscovered scenes here - the images are on the pages following the article.